Sinquerim Fort, Goa
The Sinquerim Fort is located at a distance of 18 kms. from Panaji.The fort stands overlooking the Sinquerim beach and bisects the shoreline into two. This fort was constructed in the year 1612. The is an extension of the larger upper Aguada fort. The lower fort consists of a bastion and a section of fortified wall on both sides. During the 16th and 17th Century ships used to anchor next to the fort.
The main intention of building the fort was to guard Goa against the Dutch and the Marathas. The fort served as a reference point for vessels coming from Europe. On the right hand side of the fort lies the Taj Holiday Village resort, which is well known amongst tourists. In the distance one can see the Candolim beach and the river princess stranded amongst the waves. Between the Taj holiday resort and the lower fort lies the Sinquerim beach. One can find many tour operators here who conduct waters port activities such as jet ski rides, paragliding and dolphin tours. On the left hand side of the bastion is a fortified wall and rocky outcroppings.