Reis Magos Fort, Goa

Additional Information
Bardez, North Goa, India, 403109
15.496441 N,73.80899 E
This fort can be reached by bus or by hiring a vehicle from Mapusa and Panaji.
- Visit Mario Miranda's painting exhibition
- Visit the Museum in the fort
- Visit Reis Magos Church
- Visit Coco Beach
- Visit Kegdole Beach

The fort of Reis Magos is located to the extreme south of the Bardez taluka at the northern bank of the river Mandovi. This fort was built by the Portuguese Viceroy Afonso de Noronha between 1551 and 1554 and was again rebuilt in 1703 and played an important part in the defense of Goa in 1739, against the Marathas.Only the Reis Magos Fort and the Aguada Fort were left in the hands of the Portuguese. The fort is strategically located at the mouth of the Mandovi river and was meant to thwart any attack on the city of Panaji by Sea.

Located close to the fort is the Reis magos Church, the first church of Bardez. This church is well known for the colorful 'Festa dos Reis Magos' which is the Feast of the Three Wise Men. The feast is held on 6th of January every year. Along with the Aguada fort situated two miles away, Reis Magos helped the Portuguese thwart the relentless attacks of the Maratha armies. This is the only well preserved fort in Goa. The fort is currently undergoing a restoration by the archeological survey of India.