Anjdiv Fort, Goa
The Anjdiv fort is located on the Anjdiv island which is located on the border of Goa and Karnataka. This Island is also known by various other names like Anjadiva or Anjediva. These names come from the Sanskrit word Anjani Dweep. The word Anjadiva means Fifth Island. It is located near Binaga village near Karwar. This Island occupies an area of 1.5 square kms.
The fort is small in size and was built by the Portuguese in the year 1505 A.D. This fort houses a church. This church is believed to be the temple of Aryadurga in ancient times which is now converted into a church. The building of fort made Sultan of Bijapur Adilshah to feel threatened and it resulted into an attack on this island fort. But this attack was unsuccessful. Even the attacks made by Shivaji's son Sambhaji, Peshavas and Haidar were unsuccessful due to the strong natural defenses of the fort. The fort was the first part of the Goa which lost to Indian forces on 18 December 1961 during Goa Freedom Movement. The whole operation is known as Operation Vijay.
At present there is a naval base all around the island with plans to eventually base the carrier fleet let by INS Vikramaditya, expected to arrive in early 2013 to be based here. The base is being rapidly modernized to accommodate the western carrier battle group. As a result the fort and island is not easily accessible to the general public since it is in a militarized area.